Marilise de Villiers is the founder & CEO of ROAR! Coaching & Consulting. She’s an Executive Coach, Best-selling Author, and Behaviour Change Consultant that specialises in Finance, Technology and Cyber Security Awareness, Culture & Talent. In this episode, we discuss Marilise’s experience of workplace bullying, detailed in her bestselling book ‘ROAR!: How to tame the bully inside and out.’
She talks about the moment she found her ROAR, the difficulty she had left her team, and the knock-on impact the bullying had with her family relationships.
Viewing bullying in the workplace as the ‘silent epidemic,’ Marilise talks about how it triggered anxiety attacks on her walk to work and the coping strategies she adopted after experiencing sexual trauma as a child, reigniting her eating disorders.
In this episode we discuss the importance of not just seeking to treat the behaviours a child or adult may be exhibiting that are ‘abnormal,’ but asking the question “What happened to you?” to help uncover the root cause of the behaviour, often which is a result of trauma.
Books and references discussed in the Episode:
- ‘ROAR!: How to Tame the Bully Inside and Out,’ Marilise de Villiers Basson
- ‘Have you found your ROAR!?’ TED Talk by Marilise de VIlliers
- Episode 006 ‘Brain Health – Unchaining Your Pain’ with Nazia Khatun
- ‘What Happened to You? Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing,’ Oprah Winfrey and Dr Bruce Perry
- Episode 005 ‘Brain Health – Unchaining Your Pain’ with Charlie Smith